Friday 5 August 2011

The more things change: Neo + 4.0.A.2.368

Late last night I learned the same software update for the Arc had also been released in Hong Kong for the Neo. I'm installing this overseas firmware, as the 'official' UK updates are nowhere to be seen, and even worse, there's no communication from SE when this might even be released properly over here. Yet again it's the standard cloak-and-dagger procedure from SE that's really getting very tiring, particularly when people are aware this update works very well on the Arc and are anxiously awaiting a wider release. Bad form.

So, I acquired the necessary FTF files and set about installing this wondrous new update to the Neo...And have had nothing but problems since that point. In fact, so many problems, that I’ve had to take my Arc handset (working perfectly well on the HK FW) to work with me just in case I throw the Neo out the window!

Late last night I blogged I was having problems with Swype and the touch screen, so much so I removed Swype from the handset. This morning the phone seemed to be running fine, and was very fast, in fact using the stock browser this morning the phone was incredibly fast, when it works; in addition to the screen and Swype issues, I've had massive problems with WiFi and mobile data connectivity; Blogger won’t refresh, Facebook is pretty much unresponsive and I’ve not even bothered syncing Gmail just in the case the phone explodes in my hand.

Unless these services are genuinely playing up and/or I’m plagued with a terrible case of bad timing, then there is a genuine issue with connectivity as well as the screen –thereby rendering the entire handset useless and almost a peril to itself to use.

My initial suspicion with the performance of the handset is that it's NOT the official update for the Neo; it's the update for the Arc that's been customised quite poorly for the Neo. (Although the other possibility could relate to the questionable ‘3G’ coverage where I work; it’s notorious for saying the handset has 3G or HSDPA when in fact the network is down or only functioning at 80%. No communication from the carrier to suggest there’s a problem, apart from a hastily printed note sellotaped to the shop window and that’s only if you go out of your way to find it. Rubbish) Research at lunchtime shows the developer of this FTF was asking questions only a month ago on how to root the phone, so I think he may have bitten off more than he can chew with this FW.

Still, Wotan Server confirm the Nordic and Taiwan version of the Neo software are on the loose, so I can't imagine it'll be too long before the official update hits the UK, but tonight I will possibly redo the upgrade - it's fairly simple. My Neo handset was running a rooted 2.3.3 so there potentially be a problem with the leftover bits of the root interfering with the new software; I’ll downgrade the handset to 2.3.2, do a full wipe to clean the phone, and then flash 4.0.A.2.368.

Fingers crossed this will work, otherwise it’s back to the rooted 2.3.3 until such time as SE deem to let us in on their little secret.

UPDATE 05/08/11 - 19.35

In the absence of suitable firmware for the Neo, it's been flashed back to 2.3.2, rooted and the 2.3.3 OTA update applied to retain the root. Hopefully in the next couple days (years/months) the official software update will filter out. Possibly OTA, but I'm not fussed either way.

In other news, the Arc is running wonderfully on 4.0.A.2.368, and I've even managed to root it as well this evening. My work is never finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment